Monday, January 26, 2009

3 Free and Effective Ways to Market Your Small Business


"I don't have $10,000 to run a targeted keyword campaign, or 2 weeks worth of advertising in my local newspaper, or 100 radio spots on the local stations." I hear this all the time from small business owners and these once-facts were certainly true 5 years ago. However, the Internet has successfully replaced or nearly replaced just about all forms of traditional media and has effectively connected consumers with products from all over the world.

I try to avoid paying for traditional forms of media, and want to teach you exactly what I do to save money and get huge exposure at the same time. For your benefit, I compiled a list of the most efficient and effective ways to market your product for free (or very close to free):

1. BLOG- It's a critical step you must take in 2009 to position your business or product as the expert in your industry. A blog will help you instruct and educate your clients or potential consumers about your company and it's services or products. A blog is different from a website because it's interactive and people submit questions and feedback; in addition, the blog is simple to add content every minute of the day if you would like.

2. CREATE A STORY- This is my favorite strategy because it helps separate you from the competition and it brings exposure to your doorstep without ever asking for it. As you will notice, my story is Secret Service Veteran and it helps to add credibility to my branding campaign; along with separating me from the competition. It has strategically positioned my product on major Radio networks and it can do the same for you.

For example, let's say you sell pillows. Selling pillows sounds boring and tedious, but let's look at how you can make it pop and attract people to buy from you versus the competition. First, create a story. Can you create a sleep contest at your place? Maybe it's the city's largest sleepover! Either way, create a story and the press will be there in no time at all.

3. DON'T SELL, HELP - Incredibly, incredibly effective. Don't bore people with your sales pitch. They don't want to know about you, they want to know how you can help them now and right now. Let's examine two fun and easy-to-follow hypothetical examples- one is bad, one is great.

First, the bad one: Hi, my name is Steve and I sell books on weight loss. Would you like to buy a book from me? I can give you a great deal today if you buy 2 or more. (This is bad, it's boring, and the consumer or person you are speaking to may feel turned off by your hard sell tactics. Your aren't helping the person, you are selling them books based on numbers only.)

Second, the great one: Hi, my name is Steven. I help people look and feel younger. If you want to learn simple ways you can look and feel younger, feel free to visit my website where you can learn free ways to healthy weight loss and gaining back your self esteem. (To me, this is a no-brainer approach and sets up for a long-lasting relationship based on helping someone and not just selling them something. Again- show people you are concerned with helping them and be genuine.)

Study these 3 strategies and put them to use every single day. Live by them, grow by them, and eventually earn more by them. Good luck, the world is yours for the taking. Go out and make it happen.

1 comment:

  1. Blogging and Social networks can really help in expanding and marketing your small business and creating the products which helps the people will definitely make you rich.

    Salary of Accountant

    ReplyDelete